Below are the actions that the Indivisible Team sent out this morning, in addition to a list of legislation to call your MoCs about.
Over February’s congressional recess, you turned out in record numbers to share with your Members of Congress (MoCs) what the Affordable Care Act (ACA or “Obamacare”) means to you. You warned them about the serious consequences of repeal—both for the nation’s health and for their reelection chances.
Congress took notice.
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) said that your objections might prevent them from passing a repeal bill. They’re scared of any more pushback, so they’re trying to pull a fast one. Their plan is to keep the contents of the bill a secret and pass it quickly to prevent opposition from forming. They think they can get away with rushing their bill through.
We can’t let them get away with it. And if we continue to stand indivisible, they won’t.
How to stand indivisible with the 32 million Americans who rely on the ACA
- Join the Indivisible Emergency Call on Defending Obamacare. Health care experts will be on hand to provide an overview of what’s happening and what you can do to stop the repeal of Obamacare.
When: Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 7 at 9 PM EST
- Tell your MoCs to demand a fully transparent process for any legislative action on the ACA, including requiring a public Congressional Budget Office cost estimate (“score”) before any vote. This week, House Republicans plan to rush their repeal bill through two committees, and MoCs will only have a few hours to review the bill. We’ve got a brand new script for contacting your MoC’s office. Make it clear: No Score, No Vote.
The next major congressional recess isn’t until April, and the MoCs pushing for repeal would love to repeal Obamacare before then so that they don’t have to answer any more pesky questions. Our response: Not so fast.
Trump’s Attorney General lied while under oath
When testifying before Congress, Jeff Sessions LIED about the meetings he had with Russian officials. This man is now Attorney General of the United States. Just think about that for a sec. Since the news of this broke, he has recused himself from any investigations involving Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. This is not enough and simply unacceptable. Many MoCs—but not all of them—are rightly calling for him to resign. Find out where your MoC stands now.
New script on Sessions’ resignation. Sessions’ communications with Russia just raises bigger questions. Contact your MoCs with our new script and ask them to demand both Sessions’ resignation and a full investigation into the Trump administration’s connections with Russia.
Upcoming hearing on Sessions’ deputy. On Tuesday, March 7, Trump’s nominee for Deputy Attorney General, Rod Rosenstein, will have his hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Rosenstein will likely be responsible for leading any investigations on Russia, now that Sessions has recused himself. Tell your Senator to demand that Rosenstein commit to appointing a special prosecutor to investigate all ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.
LEGISLATION TO CALL YOUR MOCS ABOUT
1. HR 861 Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency
2. HR 610 Vouchers for Public Education
3. HR 899 Terminate the Department of Education
4. HJR 69 Repeal Rule Protecting Wildlife
5. HR 370 Repeal Affordable Care Act
6. HR 354 Defund Planned Parenthood
7. HR 785 National Right to Work (this one ends unions)
8. HR 83 Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities Bill
9. HR 147 Criminalizing Abortion (“Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act”)
10. HR 808 Sanctions against Iran